Monday, December 16, 2013

Rant About Pride vs Shame

The color of human emotions chart (see Rant About Human Emotions post below) can be used as a tool to identify many basic emotions that are opposed to each other. Each of the seven primary colors on the chart is assigned to a pair of exact opposite emotions measured on a simple scale; the thesis and the antithesis. For example, if I were to be experiencing an uncomfortable level of shame, I could look in the row for the color indigo and identify or label my shame as the thesis. Furthermore, by looking at the opposite end of the indigo row, I can readily see that pride is the exact opposite emotion (antithesis).

The number scale on the chart can be useful in measuring a subjective self-reported magnitude for each specific emotion. Once the subjective self-reported magnitude for one emotion is identified, the number value also indicates the amount required to reach equilibrium between the thesis and the antithesis. For example, if I reported my shame to be in the scale of three (3), then the amount of pride required in order balance out my shame and bring that plane of emotion towards equilibrium would also be in the scale of three (3).

I would argue that equilibrium is only a temporary state that changes moment to moment. My cautious optimism leads me to believe that equilibrium is only a temporary and ideal state for any pair of exact opposite emotions. If this is true, then the emotional level for each of the seven opposite emotional pairs (color rows) is constantly fluctuating as the two opposite emotions in that color row change between thesis and antithesis. In other words, using my example of shame and pride, the magnitude of my emotional value in the indigo row will continuously fluctuate. Therefore, my emotional value in the indigo row will cross back and forth through equilibrium as my emotional state keeps changing between pride and shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment